Unsightly and potentially harmful nail fungus thrives along the nail bed and beneath fingernails and toenails. Often, the affected nails will become thicker and slightly yellow in appearance. Traditionally, nail fungus problems have been treated with medications that are prescribed by a doctor, but there is another option for those that wish to try a homeopathic approach.
Soaking nails affected with nail fungus in a mixture of dark beer and acidophilus can be a highly effective treatment, eliminating the fungus and preventing the growth of new bacteria. Acidophilus is an extremely useful bacteria that can help to ward off infections. In combination with the alcohol found in beer, acidophilus creates an acidic climate that nail fungi cannot survive in.
So how exactly does the beer soak method work to cure nail fungus?
The alcohol in the dark beer acts to soften the affected nails and surrounded nail bed. The white vinegar that is included in the mixture helps to provide a beneficially high acidic level. Environments containing high levels of acidity prohibit harmful bacteria such as fungus from growing and surviving, while allowing beneficial bacteria such as acidophilus to grow and thrive. In simple terms, the white vinegar helps to kill the fungus while allowing the acidophilus to grow and fight the remaining fungus. Read on for a step-by-step guide to using the acidophilus beer soak method for nail fungus infections.
Ingredients Required for the Soak
• Bowl or tub large enough to soak hands or feet
• 4 cups white vinegar
• 2 pints dark beer such as Guinness Stout or another very dark variety
• 1 acidophilus sachet: should contain approximately125 billion acidophilus organisms, this is the standard amount per sachet.
• Nail file
Directions for Using the Soak
1. Mix the white vinegar, dark beer and acidophilus together in the bowl or tub.
2. Soak the hands or feet in the mixture for approximately 30 minutes.
3. Remove the hands or feet from the soaking mixture.
4. Wash hands or feet thoroughly with soap and warm water before patting dry.
5. Use this soak twice a day, covering and storing in a cool place between uses.
6. This mixture can be used for up to 48 hours before the active ingredients will loose their effectiveness.
7. Continue to use this soaking mixture twice a day for three to six months.
Once per week, the affected toenails and fingernails should be filed down immediately following soaking in the mixture. Once the nails have been filed, the hands or feet should be re-submerged for an additional 30 minutes in the beer and acidophilus soaking mixture. This will allow the newly exposed nail to be treated, further limiting the growth of the fungus. Also you can radically increase the chances of curing the nail fungus infection by using a tea tree oil product like zetclear in conjunction with the beer soak method.
It is important that this treatment schedule is followed precisely; any missed treatments will result in a longer over all treatment period. Users of this treatment method will begin to see results in as little as one week or in some cases, depending on the severity of the fungal infection, it may take much longer, even up to one month. When the nail fungus infection begins to be effectively cleared up, users will notice that healthy nails will start to grow from the start of the nail bed. The new, unaffected nails will be clear from the tell tale signs of yellowing and thickness. It should take approximately twelve weeks for the new healthy nails to completely grow in and fully replace the nails that were effected by the fungus. If the skin surrounding the nails becomes sensitive during treatment, one may reduce the soaking sessions from twice a day to just once per day.